- 1 What is aunt in Sri Lanka?
- 2 How do you say mother in Sri Lanka?
- 3 How do you say OK in Sri Lanka?
- 4 What is the religion of Sri Lanka?
- 5 What is the English word for Loku Amma?
- 6 Which language is spoken in Sri Lanka?
- 7 What is mother’s younger sister called in English?
- 8 What is Standard Sri Lankan English?
- 9 What do you mean by grandmother?
- 10 How do you say dad in Sri Lanka?
- 11 What are the two official languages of Sri Lanka?
- 12 Who are the members of the family?
What is aunt in Sri Lanka?
Nangi – Younger Sisiter Uncle/Auntie – Older man or woman.
How do you say mother in Sri Lanka?
“This is my mother” = mḗ ma∙gé am∙ma.
How do you say OK in Sri Lanka?
Additional Sinhalese phrases
- Okay/Very Good- Hari Hondai.
- How are you?- Kohomadhe.
- May I Telephone?- Mata Call Ekak Ganda Polu Wandeh.
- I Don’t Speak Sinhala- Singhala Danna Naa.
- Wait a Minute!- Poddak Inna.
What is the religion of Sri Lanka?
Buddhism is the largest religion of Sri Lanka with 70.2% of the population practicing the religion; then, there are Hindus with 12.6%; Muslims with 9.7% and Christians with 7.4%. The census indicates that most Muslims are Sunni while the Christians are mainly Roman Catholic.
What is the English word for Loku Amma?
Your mother’s elder sister is your loku amma (Sinhala)/ periyamma (Tamil).
Which language is spoken in Sri Lanka?
Sinhalese language, also spelled Singhalese or Cingalese, also called Sinhala, Indo-Aryan language, one of the two official languages of Sri Lanka.
What is mother’s younger sister called in English?
aunt Add to list Share. If you have an aunt, she would be your dad’s sister or your mom’s sister, or the woman who’s married to your uncle. Your uncle is a brother to your mom or dad.
What is Standard Sri Lankan English?
The term ‘standard Sri Lankan English’ is used by Gunesekera (2004) to. describe the variety of English used by Sri Lankans who speak English as their. first language, or who are bilingual in English and Sinhala or Tamil.
What do you mean by grandmother?
1: the mother of one’s father or mother. 2: a female ancestor. Other Words from grandmother Example Sentences Learn More About grandmother.
How do you say dad in Sri Lanka?
Thatha or Thaththi means father in sinhalese, although it’s not limited to the two, in some regions of Sri Lanka, Apachchi is the word most use to call father.
What are the two official languages of Sri Lanka?
Several languages are spoken in Sri Lanka within the Indo-Aryan, Dravidian and Austronesian families. Sri Lanka accords de facto official status to Sinhala and Tamil, and English as a link language.
Who are the members of the family?
Members of the immediate family may include spouses, parents, grandparents, brothers, sisters, sons, and daughters. Members of the extended family may include aunts, uncles, cousins, nephews, nieces, and siblings-in-law.