- 1 What do girls wear in Sri Lanka?
- 2 What should I wear in Sri Lanka?
- 3 What should I avoid in Sri Lanka?
- 4 Can you wear shorts in Colombo?
- 5 What is the famous food in Sri Lanka?
- 6 Which language is spoken in Sri Lanka?
- 7 What is the best way to get around Sri Lanka?
- 8 Can you buy alcohol in Sri Lanka?
- 9 What is the hottest temperature in Sri Lanka?
- 10 Do and don’ts in Sri Lanka?
- 11 What is the best month to visit Sri Lanka?
- 12 Are there sharks in Sri Lanka?
- 13 What is the religion of Sri Lanka?
- 14 Is malaria a problem in Sri Lanka?
- 15 What is the national dress of Sri Lanka?
What do girls wear in Sri Lanka?
Sarees are the usual attire for women in Sri Lanka. Some wear a saree on a daily basis, out of choice, or because their work uniform calls for a saree. School teachers and office women wear sarees, as well as tea pluckers when it is their custom.
What should I wear in Sri Lanka?
Clothing. In the heat of the low country regions, cottons and light natural fabrics such as linen are ideal. Please remember that in a conservative culture like SL, skimpy skirts and brief shorts are not the norm or considered respectable. For women, loose cotton skirts or trousers and tops, and a long dress or skirt.
What should I avoid in Sri Lanka?
13 Things Tourists Should Never Do in Sri Lanka, Ever
- Don’t disrespect religion.
- Don’t turn your back on a Buddha statue.
- Don’t compare Sri Lanka to India.
- Don’t get carried away in public.
- Don’t take snaps without asking first.
- Don’t try to check into a hotel with no beds.
- Don’t take ‘no’ for an answer.
Can you wear shorts in Colombo?
Standard beach attire is acceptable near the beach. Shorts, sundresses, and tank tops are suggested near the tourist streets. As you go on the main road try to cover up slightly more but you won’t get hassled if you wear a dress or shorts.
What is the famous food in Sri Lanka?
12 foods you should try in Sri Lanka — from sour fish curry to coconut relish
- Fish ambul thiyal (sour fish curry)
- Kottu (also, kottu roti)
- Kukul mas curry (chicken curry)
- Parippu (dhal curry)
- Hoppers (appa or appam)
- Polos (green jackfruit curry)
- Wambatu moju (eggplant/brinjals pickle)
Which language is spoken in Sri Lanka?
Sinhalese language, also spelled Singhalese or Cingalese, also called Sinhala, Indo-Aryan language, one of the two official languages of Sri Lanka.
What is the best way to get around Sri Lanka?
The most popular options for travel around Sri Lanka is to hire a car and driver, take a taxi/ tuk-tuk, or use public transportation like trains and buses. Since the civil war ended in 2009, the country has quickly moved forward.
Can you buy alcohol in Sri Lanka?
Females and males both can freely purchase alcohol in Sri Lanka. A ban on alcohol is imposed in Buddhist holy days (Poya).
What is the hottest temperature in Sri Lanka?
The highest temperature on record in Colombo, the capital, is 40°C (104°F), while the record for the lowest temperature is 15.6°C (60.1°F).
Do and don’ts in Sri Lanka?
Sri Lanka Travel Dos and Don’ts
- DO Try to master the local head-wobble.
- DON’T Photograph the soldiers.
- DO Keep a handkerchief in your pocket.
- DON’T Overestimate your spicy-food capacity.
- DO Take three-wheelers as much as possible.
- DON’T Underestimate the power of wildlife.
- DO Try the tea.
- DON’T Just travel the south.
What is the best month to visit Sri Lanka?
Generally, the best time to visit the west and south coasts as well as the Cultural Triangle is between December and April, while on the east coast the climate is at its finest from May through to October.
Are there sharks in Sri Lanka?
Among the marine fishes, sharks and batoids (rays and skates) form a considerable diversity. According to De Silva, there are 60 sharks species and 30 rays and skates found around the coast of Sri Lanka.
What is the religion of Sri Lanka?
Buddhism is the largest religion of Sri Lanka with 70.2% of the population practicing the religion; then, there are Hindus with 12.6%; Muslims with 9.7% and Christians with 7.4%. The census indicates that most Muslims are Sunni while the Christians are mainly Roman Catholic.
Is malaria a problem in Sri Lanka?
Malaria is a risk in some parts of Sri Lanka. If you are going to a risk area, fill your malaria prescription before you leave, and take enough with you for the entire length of your trip.
What is the national dress of Sri Lanka?
The traditional Kandyan saree (osaria) is the popular attire in Sri Lanka and is worn by women for all ranges of events. Some wear a saree on a daily basis, or because their work uniform calls for a saree. School teachers and office women wear sarees, as well as tea pluckers when it is their custom.